Saturday, October 2, 2010

Shades of Blue



I tried a Navy study yesterday. I made 8 dye pots. Added Navy dye, 1/64, 1/32/ 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 1 1/2 teaspoons of dye into the containers. I added 24 oz of water. I wanted them to be more solid and less mottled, so I made the mix larger. I added a 1/4 yard of cotton presoaked in a soda ash mix. I left them in the dye pots for 2 hours, just got busy doing other stuff.


Here are the 8 pieces still wet. I made a cut into each piece to help me remember the order because when they dry the colors will be different. One cut for the first color, 2 cuts for the 2nd one, etc.


 Then they are dry and folded. Nice shades of blue.

I plan on making a table runner with them. The lesson for this weeks online class is on graduated colors like this navy. So I am ahead of the game here. But more dying this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment